🚀 The Book in 3 Sentences
- You must not only embrace suffering, but you must seek it out to callus the mind.
- Most people are living their lives to bout 40% of their maximum potential.
- The untrained mind is very weak and will quit on you much quicker than the body.
As a fan of David Goggins and his savageness, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I'll admit that it's probably not for everyone. It has vulgar language and a few nasty pictures. Personally, I like that he's being himself but I can understand how it wouldn't be for everyone.
He's accomplished some incredible things for a human being. Seemingly impossible things actually. I don't want to be like Goggins at all but I do want the armor he has on his mind. From the outside, it appears as if he's immune to suffering and I want that.
🔍 How I Discovered It
I discovered David Goggins through the Joe Rogan Experience. I suspect a lot of people discovered David that way. He's been a repeat guest at this point and his message really resonates with me.
Suffering and it's been extremely beneficial to my life. That used to sound weird to me but when someone as hard as David Goggins comes along and says that we should not only embrace suffering but seek it out, it became less weird.
I don't take it nearly as far as David does but I had to read his book.
🤓 Who Should Read It?
This book is for anyone who needs a kick in the ass to get going. What David Goggins went through to get where he's at is proof that we can overcome and conquer our minds.
This isn't a how-to-be-tough book but it's more of proof that you can build an iron will one step at a time.
🐛 How the Book Changed Me
- I talk to myself a lot during runs, especially when I get tired. This isn't new for me as I've always done this, but the words that I'm using have changed after reading this book. Stuff like: "The mind is weak, the body is not. I'm a warrior."
- I take control of the inner dialogue that goes on in my mind when I'm doing difficult stuff a lot more nowadays. I know that my mind wants to quit and having that awareness gives me a bigger sense of how it could limit me if I give in.
✍️ My Top 3 Quotes
In life, there is no gift as overlooked or inevitable as failure.
We have access to so many more resources today than ever before and yet we are so much less capable than those who came before us. If you want to be one of the few to defy those trends in our ever-softening society, you will have to be willing to go to war with yourself and create a whole new identity, which requires an open mind.
There is no more time to waste. Hours and days evaporate like creeks in the desert. That's why it's okay to be cruel to yourself as long as you realize you're doing it to become better. We all need thicker skin to improve in life. Being soft when you look in the mirror isn't going to inspire the wholesale changes we need to shift our present and open up our future.